September Is National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month (NPM). The 2015 NPM theme is “Don’t Wait. Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today.” Everyone is encouraged to take part, make a plan and know what to do during an emergency. This means having an up-to-date contact list for those you may need to reach during a disaster and establishing alternate methods of communication in case traditional means are not available.
In addition, National PrepareAthon! Day is on September 30. This national day of action will culminate NPM.
In addition to the overall theme, each week of NPM will also promote the following hazard focused themes:
- Week 1: September 1-5 Flood
- Week 2: September 6-12 Wildfire
- Week 3: September 13-19 Hurricane
- Week 4: September 20-26 Power Outage
- Week 5: September 27-30 Lead up to National PrepareAthon! Day (September 30)