Videos Focus on Recovery in the Wake of a Flood
Cleaning up after a house floods can be a long, hard process. To help families deal with issues ranging from cleaning a kitchen to avoiding pest problems, educators with NC State University Extension have developed a series of educational YouTube videos called “After the Flood.”
Topics covered in the series are:
- Emotional Difficulties: Kim Allen discusses ways to cope with stress.
- Food Safety: Ben Chapman talks about cleaning dishes, pots and pans in Part 1; other kitchen items, including appliances, flatware and plastic, in Part 2; food for people and pets in Part 3; and refrigerators in Part 4.
- Basic Home Clean Up: In Part 1, Sarah Kirby covers safety, carpeting, hardwood flooring and walls; in Part 2, she talks about safety and what to do with furniture, mattresses and other items; and in Part 3, she discusses books, photographs and computers.
- Products to Clean Your Home: Dr. Mike Waldvogel explains some of the basic products — including all-purpose cleaner, bleach, sprayers and deodorizers — that can help you clean up your home after a flood.
- Avoiding Pest Problems: Waldvogel discusses common problems with wildlife and insects.
Many of these topics are also covered by Wayne County agent Michelle Estrada in two Spanish-language videos. In Part I, she discusses safety, carpeting, furniture, mattresses and cleaning supplies. In Part 2, she covers kitchen cleanup, books, electric devices, toys and more.