NC State Extension

2006-03-02 BoD Minutes

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

North Carolina Federation of Cooperative Extension Associations (NCFCEA)
10 a.m. March 2, 2006
Brickhaven Building, Raleigh, NC

Members present: Susan Condlin, President, Federation; Rhonda Sherman, President Elect, Federation; Pamela Brylowe, Secretary, Federation; John Dorner, Webmaster, Federation; Aggie Rogers, Past President, Federation; Dee Furlough, President, NCEAFCS; Peggie Garner, President Elect, NCEAFCS; Spring Williams, President, NCAE4-HA; Sandra Conner, President Elect, NCAEPAAT; Mike Yoder, President, NCACES; Lenny Rogers, President, NCACAA.

At least one representative from each member association was present.

President Condlin conducted the meeting in accord with the Agenda which was amended to include the Treasurer’s Report . The agenda was approved by all members.

Natalie Rountree, the 2006 Federation Treasurer, was unable to attend today’s meeting due to illness and no current Treasurer’s Report was available. The last Treasurer’s Report submitted by Janet Mabry at the December 9, 2005 Federation Forum held in Lee County was reviewed. A copy is attached. President Condlin will obtain a proposed 2006 budget from the Treasurer and distribute to members for approval following this meeting.

The minutes of the October 26, 2005 Executive Board Meeting were unanimously accepted, as corrected. Copy attached.

Old Business:

President Condlin attempted to make an appointment to present Chancellor Oblinger with a plaque and gift of appreciation for his support of Salary Equity. In lieu of a presentation, these items will be given to Tracey Brown along with an explanatory letter to be given to the Chancellor on behalf of the Federation.

Administration expressed their appreciation to the Advisory Leadership members for their support for Equity Funding. Key ALS members received individual letters. An open letter from Dr. Ort to all ALS members was published in the January 2006 issue of LINK. Copy attached.

Details of the Federation Forum were reviewed and discussed. Registration went well. There were many new faces present . The presentation to Dr. Wynne, Dr. Ort, Dr. Zublena and Dr. McKinnie for their efforts to secure Equity Funding went very well. Each association is supposed to have 10 members attend the Forum in addition to the members serving on the Federation executive board. Each Association is to determine who will represent them at Federation. The objective of the Forum is to bring representatives of all Cooperative Extension Associations together to air issues and concerns of Extension associations to Administration, and to provide professional development opportunities. Lately issues and concerns seem to have evolved into Administrative Updates. We need to get back to issues and concerns. Association Presidents need to start talking to their state and district officers and members to identify any issues and concerns, and get membership input. These issues and concerns need to be submitted to the Federation by October 17, 2006.

The Fall Federation Executive Board meeting will be held October 18, 2006 at 10:00 at Brickhaven.

Issues and concerns will be delivered to Administration the first week of November.

The Forum will be held December 8, 2006 at the McSwain Extension Center, Lee County. Blackman’s catering from Harnett County, will be the caterer. The NC Soybean Association financial contribution supports the Federation Forum.

Associations were reminded to budget $50.00 for Federation dues. Dues will be collected in December and are used to support the general operating fund of Federation.

New Business:

The request to discuss changing the term of Federation officers, beginning in October instead of January, was withdrawn.

Susan Condlin encouraged all association presidents to include their Federation executive board representative at the state association’s executive board meetings and to consider giving them an active role.

Proposed updated duties and responsibilities of the the Federation Board of Directors were reviewed and discussed. Executive board members are encouraged to be familiar with their responsibilities. The Secretary is to submit the minutes for approval within two weeks of the meeting. Additional suggested changes were to include a one week approval of the minutes, for the Webmaster to post Federation meeting dates, and associations are to identify an association member to serve on the Federation executive board each year. A motion to accept these duties and responsibilities was approved.

Rhonda Sherman reported on the the meeting she and Susan Condlin had with Dr. Joe Zublena on March 2, 2006. The main issues Dr. Zublena suggested Federation could work on were:

  • The need for a voice for Extension on campus. Agent representation on the Faculty Senate was offered as one possibility. Rhonda will research what will be involved to get representation and report at the next Federation meeting. Secretaries already serve on the Staff Senate.
  • Benefits – the possibility of separating university employee benefits from other state employee benefits in order to lower our premiums and improve benefits available.
  • Try to get a member of Federation to serve on the Vice Chancellor of Extension and Engagement’s advisory board.
  • Federation may want to invite the Chancellor to share his vision of the role of the University with responsibilities in the counties. It was pointed out that the Chancellor did address this in his acceptance speech last year which is still posted on the internet at http://www.ncsu.edu/installation/. Also, Peggie Garner reported that Chancellor Oblinger did attend the State Advisory Council meeting held in Duplin County last month with Erksine Bowles where they heard grass roots support of Extension.
  • Federation may want to invite Dean Wynne to address research needs.
  • How can specialists better support agents? Members suggested agents’ associations and the specialists’ association initiate discussion about this and develop lists of their expectations. Perhaps a panel of 6 to 10 agents could attend a specialists’ association meeting to discuss their concerns and then bring the issues back to the Federation. Federation can then present the concerns to Administration and ask Administration for a response.
  • Dr. Zublena believes Change Management is the current critical issue and suggested Federation take a leadership role in support of upcoming changes.
  • He would also like to see Federation association members determine how Extension can inspire support of our organization by county managers, officials and citizens.

The Role of Federation – see the back side of the agenda for “Our Vision.”

Our goals for Federation in 2006 are:

  • Ask our associations’ members what concerns they have.
  • Ask for clarification on the use of professional certifications on signature files, business cards, etc.
  • Improving the level of technical and computer competency of Extension faculty and staff members. Ask Administration to let faculty and staff know there is an expectation of computer literacy.
  • The issue of establishing a protocol for agents and specialists, agent expectations of specialists, and specialists roles.

Reports from Associations represented:

NCEAFCS – Dee Furlough, President

The Mid-Year Board meeting was held in January, only weeks after the NCEAFCS State Meeting. A committee to establish benevolence policies was appointed. Maurene Rickards was present to discuss the FCS Foundation and to encourage 100% participation by all FCS Agents and Specialists. Complete details can be found on the NCEAFCS website. The NCEAFCS President, Dee Furlough, recently sent out a President’s Letter to the membership updating them on such issues as:

JCEP – NCEAFCS President Dee Furlough and President Elect Peggie Garner attended JCEP in Nashville, TN in February. A session is planned for the NCEAFCS State Meeting to share information from this meeting with the membership.

PILD – NCEAFCS members attending PILD in April will be Karen Wicker and Brenda Morris. They, too, will share what they learned with the membership at the NCEAFCS State Meeting.

FCS/4-H Merger – Members were encouraged to have a positive attitude about the merger and to listen and ask questions at the upcoming District CES meetings. We look forward to this being a positive step for all involved.

NCACES – Rhonda Sherman, President Elect

Attendance has been down at association meetings. We plan to address the issue of tenure.

NCCESA – submitted by Chris Austin, President

The NCCESA has approximately 256 members. The Executive Board and Board of Directors meetings were held on February 16th and 17th in Raleigh.

This year’s state meeting is to be hosted by the South Central District on September 13, 14 and 15. We are all looking forward to a productive meeting at the Mid-Pines Resort.

NCAE4-HA – Spring Williams, President

Dr. Stewart is the new 4-H State Leader. Issues and concerns are a hot topic for 4-H right now with all the upcoming changes. Currently we have 154 members – largest number in a long time. Also looking at ways to involve retirees. Appointed a committee to redo the 4-H web site.

NCACAA – submitted by Lenny Rogers, President

Our winter board meeting was held January 6th. Our membership is at its’ all time high with 263 members, much of this due to allowing specialists in our association the last 2 years. Our State meeting will be held June 27-29th in Wilmington and our National meeting will be held in July 23-27th. At our National meeting this summer we will be running Fred Miller as the incoming NACAA President Elect. We are all working hard as an association to prepare for hosting the National NACAA meeting in in 2008.The dates for this meeting are July 13-18, 2008. Please put this on your calendar, as we will probably be needing assistance from our fellow associations at that time. Some or our meals and tours are already scheduled and all members are working hard.

NCAEPAAT – submitted by Kay Bridges, President

Our Treasurer-Elect, Rebekah Thompson, is working with a committee and preparing a report for our board on scholarships to help those in our Association attend conference that are not financed or reimbursed. Also, the board is preparing to request a meeting with Dr. Zublena to go over issues that affect only our Association.

Meeting adjourned 12:50 p.m.

Minutes provided by:
Pamela Brylowe,
2006 Secretary, NCCESA

April 5, 2005 minutes

Page Last Updated: 3 years ago
Was the information on this page helpful? Yes check No close