Stay Ahead of the Storm With Extension Disaster Resources
NC State Extension provides timely resources and updates on hurricane planning, preparation and recovery to help our North Carolina neighbors during times of disaster. Across the state, Extension is working with the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, along with county governments, emergency crews and local organizations, to help our communities.
Extension is available to assist everyone impacted by the storm, not just farmers and agribusinesses – we provide expertise on disaster preparation and recovery, from family emergency planning and evacuation safety before the storm, to government aid programs and tax implications, food safety and cleaning your home after a flood.
- For updates and resources, Extension’s N.C. Disaster Information Center is our headquarters for disaster communications.
- View and subscribe to the Extension Disaster Communications Digest, which includes timely resources and updates curated from Extension specialists and state organizations.
- Employees with an active website in the Extension portal system can tag posts with “disaster” (use that exact term) to include timely content in the disaster digest newsletter.
- Find a directory of our local Extension centers, though some centers may be closed after significant storm events during the recovery phase.
- For subject-matter experts on specific topics and crops, review our list of disaster preparedness and recovery experts (let us know if you spot an update).
- Follow NC State Extension on Facebook and Twitter for key information and resources.
- For videos from Extension experts on how to handle everything from house cleanup to emotional distress, view and share our YouTube playlist.
Stay tuned to local media and the National Hurricane Center for weather updates and listen for information from local authorities on evacuations, local hazards and other important news.
The following Extension factsheets may be helpful tools as you assist growers and others in preparing or recovering after the storm:
Our vast network of experts, facilities and partnerships across the state positions Extension as a unique resource during major storm events when time is of the essence.
Extension is here to help grow North Carolina, and we will continue to collaborate with state and local emergency officials to serve our communities.